Monday, March 14, 2011

The best thing that I have ever made...

Sweet Potato Gratin
Vegan, Gluten-free, and soy-free. [From GLOW]


Ingredients:
Cream
1 3/4 c boiling water
1 c raw cashews
1/2 c sesame seeds
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg

1 large sweet potato, sliced as thin as possible
dried italian herbs to taste
additional salt and nutmeg
1/2 c hazelnuts, finely chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F
Put cashews in a bowl, pour boiling water over them and soak for 30 minutes.
Grease a casserole dish.

Assemble gratin as follows:
Layer of sweet potato slices.
Sprinkle of salt and nutmeg.
Layer of cashew cream.
Sprinkle of herbs.
Sweet potato
Salt & nutmeg
Cream
Herbs
Sweet potato
Salt & nutmeg
Cream
Herbs...

Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and top with ground hazelnuts.
Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Serve warm!





And a special thanks to Marcy Zatz for making this with me!

2 comments:

  1. Truly one of the best things I've ever eaten. I can't believe how good the cream was!! Thank you for letting me help create. Thank you even more letting me help consume! Everyone else, do yourself a favor, make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you enjoyed my recipe so much! It's lovely to know that it made it's way to your plate...thanks for featuring it!

    ReplyDelete