Monday, March 7, 2011

Croutons for Max

I stayed with my brother for a night over the weekend, meaning I spent time with his two kittens (well they're a few months old so not exactly kittens- but they will always be kittens in my mind!). Unlike a "normal" college kid, I am unable to sleep in. So waking up hours before Max, I entertained myself in the kitchen.

Max is far from a healthy eater, well I guess he would be considered "normal" as far as college kids go. You know, ramen and carry-out and the occasional spaghetti and store-bought meat sauce. However he does have one habit that I 100% approve of. Just like my dad, Max likes salad. Not as an everyday, more than once a day thing like I enjoy but not once in a blue moon either.

Anyways, the inspiration for making croutons at 9 am came from trying to promote this behavior and the excessive amounts of bread in Max's apartment (Really? Four loaves of bread for one person??).


Croutons
AKA a great way to use up stale bread


Ingredients:
bread
oil
seasonings (I used dried basil and oregano)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F
Cut bread into cubes and dump into a bowl.
Drizzle with oil and toss well to coat.
Sprinkle with seasonings and toss some more.
Pour onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
Bake until crispy and golden brown, flipping halfway through (Mine took about 10 minutes but be careful not to burn them!).

Use liberally on salads, soups, or when you get the munchies!







Love, Jayne and Kaylee and Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment