Sunday, March 27, 2011

Zucchini Pasta with Pesto Sauce

Zucchini made into "pasta" = the best. It is water rich, alkaline and nutrient rich. I have been on a serious pesto kick lately, pureeing just about any leafy green and nut that I can get my hands on. 

Based off of Pesto Pasta in Raw: The Uncook Book. This is a much more allaborate recipe than my typical one


For Pasta:
1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into pasta-like strips
1/4 of a red pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 c of marinated onions*
1/2 tomato, diced
5 basil leaves, chopped
leaves from 1 sprig of oregano
leaves from 1 sprig of rosemary, chopped
8 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water for at least 10 minutes, chopped
1/4 jalapeno, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
juice from 1/2 lemon

Pre sauce

Mix together and set aside.

*1 onion thinly sliced and marinated in 2/3 c tamari for 10 minutes - 8 hrs

For Sauce: (This makes more than you need for the pasta so add as much as you desire!)


3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 handfuls of walnuts
1/4 c basil leaves
2 handfuls of baby spinach (MI spinach is finally in season!!)
1 heaping T miso
2 T olive oil
1 t salt
8 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water for at least 10 minutes

Blend sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Add water to reach desired consistency (I used 1/2 c).
Pour as much as you want onto the pasta and refrigerate the rest.

Remember how I actually eat my foodPasta curled up on my couch with my laptop ;)

This is not an all local recipe but all ingredients can be bought trash free. For Ann Arbor residents:
-Herbs can be bought unpackaged at Sparrow Market.
-All vegetables can be purchased packaging free.
-Tamari, sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, miso, salt, olive oil can all be bought in bulk at the People's Food Co-op.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love your comments and suggestions. Love your blog it looks great.

    ReplyDelete