Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Onion and Olive Socca

I have been meaning to post this for a while now (about 3 weeks...) and I am finally getting around to it! This socca accompanied me during an all-nighter trying to finish writing a 15 page paper. It was delicious and oh so satisfying. Quite different from my skillet socca and I have to say, I do prefer the texture of this method (baking) compared to preparing it omelette-style.

The inside was like custard. Drool.

Custard-y friggin' goodness.

Ingredients:
1 c chickpea flour (I made mine by food processing dried chickpeas)
1 t salt
1.5 c water
1-2 T oil

a few thin slices of red onion
a few olives, finely chopped
optional: a few sage leaves, finely chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F
Add oil to a 9-10" pan (I use a skillet because that's all I have)
Mix together flour and salt.
Whisk in water until batter is clump-less (this will be very thin).
Pour batter into pan/skillet.
Place onions, olives and sage thoughtfully into batter.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, until socca has a crust but is soft to the touch.
Optional: Turn oven to broil and bake for 3-5 more minutes for crispiness.

My unsuccessful attempt to remove it from the skillet...

 Horrible picture thanks to the quality of the pictures taken on my phone...

...oh how I wish I hadn't broke my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment