Thursday, December 9, 2010

Chai-Spiced Caramelized Almond Brittle


This was actually an attempt to make caramelized almonds (you know the ones that they always sell at the Cider Mill and sporting events?) but I guess I didn't simmer my mixture long enough so I'm callin' it brittle!


Chai-Spiced Almond Brittle
Ingredients:
1 c water
1 c sugar
1 c almonds
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t cardamom
1/8 t cloves
1/8 t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg 


Directions:
Bring water, sugar, and almonds to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
Reduce heat to a simmer and let it do what it do until very thick.
Make sure you stir fairly often so the goo doesn't burn.
Once the goo is reduced and coating almonds, remove from heat.
Mix in spices.
Pour onto a well-oiled cookie sheet* and allow to cool.
Break into pieces and munch away.


Variations:

  • Replace almonds with any other sort of nut, popcorn, crushed peppermint candy, cooked grains, oats, dried fruits...
  • Melt chocolate and spread it on top of cooled brittle. Mix peanut butter into the chocolate?
  • Experiment with spices. For example, for a Mexican taste substitute in cinnamon and cayenne.



*DO NOT POUR ONTO PARCHMENT OR WAX PAPER! This is what I did and I ended up with very papery brittle. I mean I guess it's extra fiber but personally I prefer wax-free candy, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment