This is the easiest and cheapest way to make nut butters. And any nut will do, go traditional with peanuts or get creative by all the variations that you can have!
The only things that are mandatory are nuts and a food processor.
Nut of choice (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pistachios...)
Put as many nuts as you want (I did 2 cups) in a food processor.
Process for about 15 minutes.
I typically let it go for 2-5 minute intervals because I'm afraid that my food processor will overheat.
It's a pretty cool process, for the first like 10 minutes it is pretty dry and grainy (if you are trying to make nut flour or meal, this is where you stop). The first time that I made almond butter I was convinced I had to add olive oil or something because it was still not butter-y after such a long time. But I promise that added oil is not necessary. Just keep grinding, eventually a ball will form and then it gets super smooth.
- Add in sugar or another form of sweetener (maple syrup, honey...) to make it sweet.
- Roast the nuts in the oven before processing them.
- Add in salt for a more traditional (commercial) flavor
- Add in cocoa powder (oh hey you may or may not be able to recreate a certain 'chocolate hazelnut spread' in your own kitchen...)
- Have fun with spices! They're great.