Thursday, December 16, 2010

Spelt Baguette for Winter Bruschetta

So my first attempt at sourdough starter was a major fail. In order to console my bread-baking ego I decided to bake bread with commercially-bought yeast (ergghh). But hey you can buy it in bulk at the People's Food Co-op! That makes me feel a little better...

I based this off of a recipe that was in all grams in millileters and apparently in my conversions I screwed something up big time. Therefore, I added in 2 c wheat flour to make the dough drier. This definitely was the bread baking attempt of an ultimate novice. There's only growth from here!




Spelt Baguette
Yeast-y bread Take 1

1T + 2t yeast*
5 T warm water
2 T spelt flour*
2 c water
3 c spelt flour*
2 c whole wheat flour*

In large bowl, mix yeast and warm water until smooth.
Mix in 2 T flour, cover in a rag and allow to do what it do for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400F
Stir in water, and then stir in the flours.
Cover in a rag and allow to rise for an 1.5 hours (I got distracted and let it go for 3.5 hours...)
Separate into 3 baguette-ish shapes and slice notches into the top.
Cook for 20-30 minutes.

*You can buy this in bulk! Do itttt. It's cheaper AND saves packaging waste ;)

What else you can do...

Winter Bruschetta
Death by amazing salty, savory, sweet, stay-inside-and-stuff-your-face-until-you-add-a-healthy-layer-of-fat-and-are-able-to-withstand-the-0-degree-Michigan-winter goodness.


I didn't measure but here are my attempts to quantify my experimentation:
Ingredients:
1 T oil
2 cloves garlic, minced)
1/2 large onion, chopped

pumpkin puree (about 1.5 c)
frozen cranberries (about 1 c)
ginger (1 T perhaps)
nutmeg (1/4 t -ish)

spelt baguette, but into 1-2" pieces

Directions:
Heat oil in saute pan over medium-low heat.
Add onions and saute until softened.
Add garlic, pumpkin and bring to a simmer.
Add in cranberries.
Cook until cranberries burst and start oozing into pumpkin mixture.
Spice up yo life!
Remove from heat.

Smear pesto and pumpkin-cranberry goo onto baguette slices.
Devour.

2 comments:

  1. Hi There. Visiting from Pizzelles. I'd love how to learn how to bake good sourdough but i'm a bit of a scardy cat. I do love bruschetta and have never attempted to make it myself. I will definitely try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! My first attempt with the sourdough starter was a failure which is pretty disheartening... But I'm going to try again soon! (I go out of town next week though so it won't be for a few weeks :/)

    ReplyDelete