Thursday, December 23, 2010

Steamed Baby Bok Choy with Orange and Ginger

Pre-Finals Post 2:

Nom.

How is a vegetable adorable? I don't know but baby bok choy definitely is. The giddiness that I had when I found it at the farmer's market is a little (a lot) embarrassing.

Also, there is a new addition to my cooking repertoire. Steaming! I stole my brother's steamer (because he doesn't cook, shame shame) and I have been using it like a mad woman. You can make your own steamer by setting a colander in a pot that has an inch of boiling water in it and covering it with some sort of cover.

I know that this may sound odd but DRINK THE WATER leftover from steaming. They will contain vitamins and minerals that left the plant in the steaming process. Plus it will be slightly colored green (or whatever color the plant you steam is) which I think is neat-o.

Steamed Bok Choy with Orange and Ginger


Ingredients:
2 baby bok choys (1)
1 t toasted sesame oil
1" ginger, grated
zest from 1/2 orange (2)
juice from 1/2 orange (2)

Directions:
Remove discolored outer leaves of the bok choy and chop off a bit of the bottom.
Cut bok choy in half and rinse well, there will be dirt lodged in between the leaves.
Bring 1" of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Place bok choy, ginger, and orange zest in steaming vessel.
Steam until bok choy is easily pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes.
Remove from steamer and toss with oil and orange juice.

(1) From AA Farmer's Market, but didn't catch the name of the stand. Shame on me...
(2) Pre-challenge stash

No comments:

Post a Comment